An 8-week online short story course
- Starts 10th September 2018
- Explore the elements of successful short fiction with prize-winning writer and experienced editor, Tom Vowler
- A friendly and relaxed course to unravel (some of) the mysteries of this demanding form
- Discover how great stories are crafted
- Join lively discussions about writing with your tutor and other students
The Short Story Masterclass is an online course designed for those with a passion for storytelling. We examine what brings a story to life, what gives it traction and vitality.
“I found the course really enlightening in regards to stepping up a notch with writing stories seriously. The resources have been invaluable, as has the feedback and contact with the other members of the group.” Jayne Sanders, student
Who’s it for?
The masterclass is an intermediary-level course (the equivalent of a university Level 2 undergraduate unit). This course is open to anyone who is writing (or wants to write) stories, and is intended to offer constructive and practical advice on how to produce work that is likely to be accepted for publication. No previous experience writing stories is necessary, just a passion for storytelling.
How will I learn?
This online course consists of a single easy to navigate online teaching module, comprising:
- a discussion forum
- detailed lessons
- required reading
- extras (hints and tips)
- short writing tasks
- more detailed critical and creative exercises
How long is it for?
The course lasts for eight weeks, and you should allow around 3 – 5 hours per week to complete it, although more if possible.
- A brief history of the short story
- What makes stories come to life, and how to build them
- Character, voice, narrative tension and dialogue
- Obliquity, subtext, structure and space
- Giving your stories authority
- Less is more: the art of editing
- Writing prizewinning stories
What sort of feedback do I get?
Feedback from your tutor occurs on a weekly basis, and includes specific and general guidance on what you are doing well and how you can improve.
“The masterclass is undeniably one of the best courses I have taken to harness my skill and discipline in writing, as well as gain greater insight in the art of the short story. I was able to produce two stories during the course, with quality feedback from the editors.” Marcelle Mateki Akita, student
Booking your place
Booking a place on the ‘Short Story Masterclass’ is easy. To sign up, click ‘Book Your Place’ and follow the instructions on the next screen. Your payment will be processed securely via PayPal.
After creating an account, you will be contacted by your new Unthank tutor to welcome you to the course and provide a link to Unthank School’s virtual learning environment.